The SWOT analysis is a tool widely used by many organizations and business leaders throughout the world; however, a critical component of the effective use of a SWOT is the appropriate application of the information gathered from the analysis. For this Discussion, you will investigate opportunities for applying a SWOT analysis for effectiveness in both the strategic planning process and encouraging innovation within a selected organization.
To prepare for this Discussion, select a strategy practice case from Dyer, Godfrey, Jensen, and Bryce (2016) presented in the week’s Required Readings, and consider how SWOT data can be effectively used within strategic planning initiatives to gain or maintain a competitive advantage for this specific organization. Be sure the case you select provides an exhaustive overview of the organization’s business climate for strategy.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
By Day 3
Post an assessment of the value of SWOT analysis as a contextual strategic planning tool. Your assessment should include the following:
- A brief description of your chosen case, including industry and relevant background information
- An explanation of which parts of a SWOT analysis could provide the greatest value from a strategic planning perspective, including specific examples from your chosen case
- An analysis of how SWOT data could be used to increase this organization’s competitive advantage
- An analysis of how the SWOT data could be used to increase innovation within this organization
Be sure to support your work with a minimum of two specific citations from this week’s Learning Resources and at least one additional scholarly source.
Refer to the Week 3 Discussion Rubric for specific grading elements and criteria. Your Instructor will use this rubric to assess your work.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ postings.
Dyer, J. H., Godfrey, P., Jensen, R., & Bryce, D. (2016).
Strategic management: Concepts and tools for creating real world strategy. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
- REVIEW Chapter 2: “Analysis of the External Environment: Opportunities and Threats” (pp. 20–45)
- Case 03: “Intel (A): Dominance in Microprocessors” (pp. C-22–C-31)
- Case 05: “Harley-Davidson: Growth Challenges Ahead” (pp. C-45–C-53)
- Case 06: “Intel (B): Responding to the Smart Phone Threat” (pp. C-54–C-61)
- Case 09: “Samsung: Overtaking Philips, Panasonic, and Sony as the Leader in the Consumer Electronics Industry” (pp. C-82–C-91)
Addams, L., & Allred, A. T. (2013). The first step in proactively managing students’ careers: Teaching self-SWOT analysis.
Academy of Educational Leadership Journal, 17(4), 43–51. Retrieved from
Note: Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.