In this assignment, you will investigate concepts such as conformity, compliance, and obedience. Each of you has probably seen a story on the news about someone joining a cult, group, or gang. As you watched the news story, you may wonder why that person would conform to the strict requests made by the group, cult, or gang. For example, a cult in 1997 called Heavenâ€™s Gate convinced all 39 members to commit suicide. A group called the Moonies (Unification Church) would convince its members to cut contact with anyone outside of the group (family and friends) and donate all of their money to the church. Why would anyone willingly join one of these groups?
Discuss the following in your paper:
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
- Research a group, gang, or cult that you believe uses conformity, compliance, or obedience to have people join and stay in that particular gang. In your own words give a summary of the group, gang, or cult’s mission.
- What does that group outwardly say to recruit someone into the group, gang, or cult?
- Discuss how the group uses social influence such as conformity, compliance, and obedience to keep members in the group, gang, or cult.
- Why would someone stay in one of these groups, gangs, or cults?
- If someone in the group, gang, or cult wanted to leave, would it be an easy transition? What may prevent him or her from leaving?
Responses to Other Students: Respond to at least 2 of your fellow classmates with a reply of 100 words about their Primary Task Response regarding items you found to be compelling and enlightening. Pick two fellow classmates who picked a different group, gang, or cult.
- Are there any similarities in the group, gang, or cult’s mission compared to the group you chose to discuss for your primary post? If so, discuss the similarities.
- Are there any differences in the group, gang, or cult’s mission compared to the group you chose to discuss for your primary post? If so, discuss the differences
- Did your classmate’s group, gang, or cult’s employ similar or different tactics when trying to keep a member from leaving? Explain.