Knowing which career you want to pursue is an important first step in beginning your job search and achieving your career goals. Some educational career options include; Pre-K -12th grade classroom teaching or administration and post-secondary education such as higher education, continuing adult education, corporate training, military career training, and more.
Formulating a plan is the first step in meeting your career aspirations. As you begin planning your strategy for success, consider and answer the following:
- Identify 3 to 5 short-term goals. How do you hope to use the advanced degree you earn?
- Identify 3 to 5 long-term goals. Where would you like to be a year from now? Five years?
- Conduct some basic research on the state in which you plan to pursue these career plans. What state requirements do you need to consider and attain to reach your career goals?
- What qualifications do you already possess that will help you reach your career goals?
- What barriers do you need to overcome to reach your career goals (financial, personal, social, etc.)? Which individuals in your personal or professional network can help you?
Guided Response: Respond to at least two of your peers. Provide feedback on your peer’s career plan and at least one suggestion to further assist your colleague in tackling his or her career plan.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your discussion.